Friday 24 April 2015

Moschino's Main Man

As the designer who brought Barbie and Maccy D's to the catwalk in recent seasons, Jeremy Scott is the pop-culture revivalist that everyone wants to question. And, as he revealed at the CNI Luxury Conference this afternoon, he has some interesting answers. So, for all the colour and frivolity, does he have a serious side?

"Of course I have a serious side, but you can communicate something much stronger when using humour," he revealed. "If you look at US political TV shows that use humour and satire to get views across – they pack a punch."

Humour is something that Scott has brought to Moschino in abundance – an aesthetic that regularly clocks up column inches by the girls who wear it well.


Image: Getty

“Rihanna, Miley, Katy, all those girls are my friends and people I have close relationships with,” he told Menkes. “They are inspirational to me because they are a part of my life. They are organic relationships, though. They are there for me and vice versa.”

But it’s not just the celebrity world that adores Scott. He has a cult following in Japan too, a place that he called home in his teens, and a region that he feels very connected to, as he told Anna Dello Russo, who co-hosted the session with Menkes.

“I grew up with six Asian female friends; they were strong females and very inspiring,” he told the crowd. “When I was 16, I moved to Japan and started learning the language. I love the culture and the creativity there – they were some of the first people to embrace my work. They’ve always had an appreciation for something new.”

When it comes to his own style, he practices what he preaches, but he’s no fashion victim.

“I am a fan of fashion – it’s like high school and I want everyone I fashion to do well. I fell in love with it watching it through the early Details magazines. I loved how diverse fashion was, but now it has become quite homogenised and that makes me sad. I’m a popularist – even if people aren’t going to wear the clothes, that is not a concern of mine. I’ll be fired for saying it, but I don’t care if it sells.”


Image: Getty

“I feel very fortunate, I have a strong fan base, they send me pictures and send me dolls that they’ve made. When I see them getting excited and posting online about it, that excites me because my aim is to touch other people’s lives and that’s what I’ve done.”

It is undoubtedly his enduring optimism that keeps him, and his designs, at the cutting edge of fashion, something that comes completely naturally to him, but he is not averse to being encouraged by enthusiasm for his work.


Image: Getty

“The greatest compliments I get are from people who knew Franco Moschino personally. When I went to Jean Paul Gaultier’s show, I was backstage congratulating him and he told me, ‘I love what you’re doing with Moschino – it is exactly what Franco would have wanted you to be doing under his name.’ That was the closest that I will ever come to Franco telling me that I’m doing well. As Franco LOVED Jean Paul, I take it very seriously, as I have a large appreciation for what Franco did and I want to continue his legacy in that respect.”



No comments:

Post a Comment